Summer is here and all the humidity and heat that comes with it. While our garden hoses can quickly quench our thirst, have you ever stopped to ask the question: is hose water safe to drink?
For many of us, summer (since we were children) has always included an occasional drink from the hose while watering the garden or during an impromptu water battle and we haven’t given it much thought. But, should we have been a bit more careful? Click on the video below or continue reading to learn more.
Do You Have Public Water or a Tested Well?
If you are on public water or a tested well, the water that comes directly out of the hose bib (aka faucet) is considered safe drinking water. So, the next time you are thirsty or the kids ask to get water from the outdoor faucet you don’t have to worry about bad bacteria coming directly from the spigot. You may want to think twice however before drinking from the standard garden hose which most of us have connected to our hose bibs.
Garden Hose Buyer Beware
While garden hoses are a necessity for keeping your plants watered and spraying an unsuspecting loved one every so often in the summer, the average garden hose is not rated for the purpose of supplying quality drinking water. Simply put, many hoses can contain chemicals that can leech into the water, especially trapped hose water left to bake in the sun. And, needless to say, consuming such chemicals from the hose over time could be harmful.
I’m Outside and Thirsty – Is Hose Water Safe to Drink? It Could Be!
So, before reaching for the hose this summer, make sure you take time to answer the question: is hose water safe to drink at your home?
- Does your home have a quality water source – public or well? If you don’t know, having someone help you with a water inspection could be a good first step.
- Is your hose rated for drinking water (many aren’t) or do you at least have a lead-free hose bib? It only takes a few seconds to detach the hose from the spigot and you can usually get safer drinking water directly from the faucet than from the hose.
In need of a plumber Rockville, MD? Contact the plumbers at Heil Plumbing DMV today!
Heil Plumbing DMV is a family-run company owned by a third-generation master plumber. We can help you with a full range of plumbing services, including toilet installation and repair, leak detection and pipe repair, water heater repair and installation, faucet repair and installation, drain cleaning, water treatment, and more.
- How to Winterize Your Plumbing: 3 Quick Tips To Prevent Winter Woes [Video]
- How To Remove a Hose Stuck on Spigot in “10 Seconds” [Video]
- The 7 Critical Parts of a Water Heater Homeowners Must Know [Video]
- 2 Fixes for a Garbage Disposal Not Working + What To Do With a Clogged Garbage Disposal [Video]
- Hot Water Not Working – 7-Step Electric Water Heater Element Testing Guide [Video]
- How To Replace a Sump Pump Like a Professional (Easy Pictorial Guide) [Video]
- How to Replace Bathroom Pipe Nipples and Install Water Shut-Off Valves [Video]
- Fix-It Guide: How to Unclog a Bathroom Sink [Video]
- Sink Clog Emergency – How Much Does a Plumber Cost to Unclog a Drain [Video]
- Adorable, Sewing Machine Sink – 4-Step DIY [Video]