Is your garden hose stuck on the spigot (aka outdoor faucet or hose bib)? While this is incredibly frustrating, the good news is that this can be a simple DIY project. Click the video below or continue reading to learn how to get a stuck hose off a spigot.
Follow These Steps for a Hose Stuck on Spigot
Before jumping into our DIY project, we wanted to point out a very common error: using only one pair of pliers or a single wrench. The issue is this: by grabbing the stuck garden hose and attempting to force it loose from the outdoor faucet, you can actually damage the faucet and the pipe behind the wall.
Try this “10-second approach” to getting your hose unstuck instead.
How to Get a Stuck Hose Off a Spigot
- Loosen it up by spraying WD-40 around the spigot (or even CLR).
- Get two pliers or channel locks – one to loosen the hose fitting and one to hold the spigot (faucet) stationary. Again, this is crucial, so you don’t break the pipe behind the wall.
- Take hold of the spigot, while attempting to loosen the hose. This may take a little bit of elbow grease. Note – while the hose should come off, if it doesn’t, we would recommend contacting a local plumber.
Preventing Your Hose From Getting Stuck on the Spigot
Don’t want to have to deal with your hose getting stuck on the spigot again? While you could buy additional parts or upgrade your hose entirely, the easiest fix is to simply take your hose off the spigot every once in a while. If you leave a hose connected year-round the hose fitting can corrode and seize onto the spigot.
If you ever find yourself in a fix and need help with leak detection in Rockville or the surrounding areas, or are looking for a trustworthy plumber in Rockville, MD, don’t hesitate to contact us today.
Heil Plumbing is a family-run company owned by a third-generation master plumber. We can help you with a full range of plumbing services, including toilet installation and repair, leak detection and pipe repair, water heater repair and installation, faucet repair and installation, drain cleaning, water treatment, and more.
- 3 Ways to Replace Water Shut Off Valve: Plumbing SharkBite, Compression Valve, and ProPress Method [Video]
- How to Winterize Your Plumbing: 3 Quick Tips To Prevent Winter Woes [Video]
- The 7 Critical Parts of a Water Heater Homeowners Must Know [Video]
- 2 Fixes for a Garbage Disposal Not Working + What To Do With a Clogged Garbage Disposal [Video]
- Hot Water Not Working – 7-Step Electric Water Heater Element Testing Guide [Video]
- How To Replace a Sump Pump Like a Professional (Easy Pictorial Guide) [Video]
- How to Replace Bathroom Pipe Nipples and Install Water Shut-Off Valves [Video]
- Fix-It Guide: How to Unclog a Bathroom Sink [Video]
- Sink Clog Emergency – How Much Does a Plumber Cost to Unclog a Drain [Video]
- Is Hose Water Safe To Drink – Quick Check Before You Try [Video]