Are you wondering how to unclog a bathroom sink? If so, you’ll be relieved to know it’s an easy job almost anyone can do at home by simply snaking the drain. All you’ll need for this DIY is a drill snake.
While the job is simple, use caution when operating the snake, especially if you have old pipes. They’re often coated with zinc, so if the snake is applied with too much force, it could scratch the pipe coating. This could lead to rusting, cracking, leaking, and even breaking. If any damage does occur, you’ll need to replace the sink trap (i.e., p-trap).
Keeping that in mind, if you have your snake, you’re ready to get started. Read or click below to see our easy eight-step guide below for how to unclog a bathroom sink.
How to Unclog a Bathroom Sink: 8-Step Guide
1. First, remove the stopper from the sink drain.
2. Next, run the faucet until it backs up so you’ll be able to tell when the snake breaks through the clog.
3. Thread your drill snake down the sink.
4. Run the drill until the standing water in the sink goes down the drain.
5. Turn on the faucet to make sure the water runs smoothly down the drain without getting clogged.
6. Drill more snake down the drain to make sure you’ve removed the entire clog.
- If the sink is the only appliance that’s clogged, you’ll likely only need to run five to eight linear feet of snake.
7. Turn on the faucet to make sure the water doesn’t get backed up.
8. If the clog persists, try to snake the drain again until the clog is completely eliminated.
That should be all you need to fix your clogged sink. If you need help with drain cleaning in Baltimore County or are looking for a reliable plumber in Columbia, MD or the surrounding areas, contact Heil Plumbing today.
Heil Plumbing is a family-run company owned by a third-generation master plumber. We can help you with a full range of plumbing services, including toilet installation and repair, leak detection and pipe repair, water heater repair and installation, faucet repair and installation, drain cleaning, water treatment, and more.
- 3 Ways to Replace Water Shut Off Valve: Plumbing SharkBite, Compression Valve, and ProPress Method [Video]
- How to Winterize Your Plumbing: 3 Quick Tips To Prevent Winter Woes [Video]
- How To Remove a Hose Stuck on Spigot in “10 Seconds” [Video]
- The 7 Critical Parts of a Water Heater Homeowners Must Know [Video]
- 2 Fixes for a Garbage Disposal Not Working + What To Do With a Clogged Garbage Disposal [Video]
- Hot Water Not Working – 7-Step Electric Water Heater Element Testing Guide [Video]
- How To Replace a Sump Pump Like a Professional (Easy Pictorial Guide) [Video]
- How to Replace Bathroom Pipe Nipples and Install Water Shut-Off Valves [Video]
- Sink Clog Emergency – How Much Does a Plumber Cost to Unclog a Drain [Video]
- Is Hose Water Safe To Drink – Quick Check Before You Try [Video]