Today, we’re going to show you how to perform a toilet dye test to know if your toilet is running when it shouldn’t be.
How To Know if Your Toilet Is Running
In some cases, you may be able to hear the sound of the toilet running. This is the sound of water leaking from the tank, where the water is stored, into the bowl. However, if the tank leak is slow, you may notice an abnormally high water bill before you ever hear indications of an overactive toilet. If you see an anomaly in your water usage, a running toilet is among the first things to check, and it will only take ten to twenty minutes!
Toilet Dye Test – Instructions
To perform a toilet dye test, all you need to do is take the lid off the toilet tank and drop a few drops of dye into it. (Food coloring works well.)
Now, just wait! In ten to twenty minutes, if the toilet tank is leaking into the bowl, you will see dye appear without flushing.
If the toilet is very old, it could need to be replaced. However, a leaky toilet tank is more likely to be an indicator that you have a toilet flapper leaking (check out the video tutorial), a simple DIY project even for beginners!
Follow Home with Heil on YouTube for more tips on how to take care of your home.
Heil Plumbing is a family-run company owned by a third-generation master plumber. We can help you with a full range of plumbing services, including toilet installation and repair, leak detection and pipe repair, water heater repair and installation, faucet repair and installation, drain cleaning, water treatment services, and more.
- 3 Ways to Replace Water Shut Off Valve: Plumbing SharkBite, Compression Valve, and ProPress Method [Video]
- How to Winterize Your Plumbing: 3 Quick Tips To Prevent Winter Woes [Video]
- How To Remove a Hose Stuck on Spigot in “10 Seconds” [Video]
- The 7 Critical Parts of a Water Heater Homeowners Must Know [Video]
- 2 Fixes for a Garbage Disposal Not Working + What To Do With a Clogged Garbage Disposal [Video]
- Hot Water Not Working – 7-Step Electric Water Heater Element Testing Guide [Video]
- How To Replace a Sump Pump Like a Professional (Easy Pictorial Guide) [Video]
- How to Replace Bathroom Pipe Nipples and Install Water Shut-Off Valves [Video]
- Fix-It Guide: How to Unclog a Bathroom Sink [Video]
- Sink Clog Emergency – How Much Does a Plumber Cost to Unclog a Drain [Video]